We have all been there. You are busy working on your Mac when you accidentally knock over the glass of water sitting right next to it. You watch in horror as the spilled water on your MacBook all over your Mac and it instantly turns off.
Now: before you go into a full panic mode, you can take a few simple steps to save your Mac from any long-term damage. You see, there is never a guarantee that your Mac will be safe from any permanent damage.
However, if you remain proactive and know what-to-do in such an unfortunate scenario, you might be able to minimize the damage.
That being said, let me clear one thing. In case your Mac
accidentally falls into a swimming pool or a bathtub, don’t get your hopes up.
At this point, there is no probably nothing you can do about it. In other words, your Mac is guaranteed to have toast.
And the good news? If only a small amount of water has spilled on your Mac and it spilled mostly on the keys, there is hope left for your Mac. Here’s why:
Your MacBook has a pretty tight protective mechanism that will withstand slight damage from liquid spillage. However, you might have to replace your keyboard later on.
Now before wasting any more of your precious time, let us get to the point. The article below will provide a detailed guide on what-to-do and what-not-to-do after you spill water over your MacBook.
Prioritize your personal Safety Before Tending To Your water spilled Macbook
Here’s the deal: Before you do anything else, don’t try to open your Macbook, don’t try to plug it back in, and most importantly, do not try to reboot it.
Simply put: Your Macbook has just got wet. And as common sense dictates, wet and electronics do not go well together.
Think about it: Does your Macbook really mean more to you than your own safety? Always prioritize your personal safety and remember that you can use Tricks and Tips to solve this issue.
If there is a lot of water involved, take a few crucial steps like cutting the power at the source via the circuit breaker. Immediately contact an electrical professional.
What-to-do To Save Your Macbook From Spilled Water Damage?
- After you have assessed and eliminated the risk of a fire, it’s time to save your laptop. It’s okay if you spilled water on your laptop. And the good news? Steps mentioned below will get the job done and are very easy:
- Unplug your Macbook immediately. Next, consider removing the battery and unplug any peripherals like the mouse, printer, or Ipad. In case you have bought your Macbook in the last decade or so, you might be unable to remove the battery as they are built-in. So, you can just skip this part.
- Immediately Shut down your Macbook. Simply press the power button for a few seconds. By now, you should stop thinking of any unsaved documents. Focus entirely on protecting your Macbook from any potential water damage.
- Next, you need to focus on draining any excess water from your Macbook. Place your Mac into a tent mode. The water will be from the sensitive parts of the laptop and out of the macbook.
- In other words, gravity will do the job for you. Take an absorbent cloth and dab any excess water. Use a cotton bud to dry out the side ports or vents.
- To speed up the drying process of your Macbook, consider turning the central heating on or use a hairdryer. Set your hairdryer to the lowest and use it at a distance.
- Otherwise, you might damage your Macbook. And we certainly don’t want that, right? In case, you might be asking yourself why not put it in an oven? Well, don’t even try to do that. Your Macbook will be as good as dead.
- Another popular trick is to place your Macbook near a fan. This will help the water evaporate faster. You can also opt for the rice trick. Although it works better with Iphones, it may work with your Macbook as well.
- Transfer your Macbook into a large bowl of uncooked rice and leave it for about 48 hours. Simply put, the rice will act at removing the moisture from your damp Macbook. However, you should know that you might be left with rice residing in the vents.
- Now: Leave your laptop unattended for at least 48 to 96 hours. You should not be tempted to turn it back on. This will just do more damage to your Mac.
- Turns out, Patience is one of the most important things to show if you ever dream of using your Macbook again. Simply flip your Macbook over and allow it to rest on a pillow. This will give you enough time to take the water out completely.
- In case you have the necessary tools at hand, it doesn’t matter that you have spilled water on your laptop. So, just consider opening your Mac and drying out the inside. Keep in mind that this might make you ineligible for future warranty claims. You can use this step only if you are an expert.
- So if you are a novice like me, it’s better to leave that to the professionals. If you can open your Macbook, start with removing the battery and the memory, etc. Next, move on to the logistic board and dry them all out.
- As you have followed the above steps to the letter and if you are completely satisfied that your Macbook has zero liquid inside. So, you can try turning it on to see what happens. However, in my experience, it is best not to take any risks. Take it to an Apple Store or any specialist for a thorough check-up. If the warranty is still applicable, use that.
How To Protect Your MacBook From Future Water Spilled Damage?
Since you have effectively figured out how to rescue your Macbook on which water was spilled, it’s an ideal opportunity to make some preparatory measures for future mishaps.
It’s a no-brainer that you need to keep your glass of water or your cup of coffee as far away as possible from your laptop but if you have still spilled water on your Macbook then always remember that everything has a solution. Prevention is always better than cure, right?
Consider investing in a waterproof laptop cover with ventilation holes such as a plastic keyboard cover or a waterproof laptop screen cover as well.
You see, spilled water on your Macbook is not a death sentence for your laptop after all. Turns out, this is one of the most common scenarios that a Mac user has to deal with. The above-mentioned steps will get you going the right way to minimize water damage to your Mac.