So, you accidentally cracked your screen with all the important data inside it. We have all been there in some point in life. Here we are going to guide you on how to fix a cracked computer screen without replacing it.
You are in a hurry and trying to get through the hectic morning. You try to juggle your bag, laptop, and a cup of coffee in your hands.
And you hear the heart-wrenching sound of your laptop crashing to the ground. After you get over the initial shock, you bend down and try to turn it on with that tiniest flicker of hope.
But, you see the dreaded error message. As if that’s not enough, the realization that you hadn’t even backed your important data, hits you like a brick.
By now, you should be thinking hard on How to fix the cracked computer screen without having to replace it.
Well, the good news is that you might be able to salvage your laptop. With a few simple steps, you can fix the cracked screen without investing in a screen replacement.
On the other hand, if the laptop is too far gone with damage to the graphics card or the motherboard, you are just wasting your time.
Should you even try to fix the cracked screen yourself?
Think about it: Why should you try and fix the cracked screen yourself when it comes under warranty?
If this is the case, then I would recommend you not to DIY it. Doing it yourself can potentially cause even more damage. But if your computer is not in warranty then you can try Tricks and Tips to fix it.
Also, it might make you ineligible for future warranty claims. So, get your laptop fixed under the warranty. And save a few bucks as well while you are it
Can I Fix a cracked computer screen without replacing it?
First things first, thoroughly inspect your laptop from A to Z. Remember, if the graphics chip or the motherboard is dead, you might as well stop right there. ‘’How do I check if the graphics card is working?’’, you may ask.
All you have to do is plug the graphics card into a desktop monitor. If the external display looks good, then the graphics card is working just fine.
And while you are at it, check a few other things as well, including the internal screen attachments, the percentage of screen damage, and the laptop’s battery.
But wait! let me tell you something. You might not need to fix your cracked screen right away. In case your laptop has just a hairline crack along the edge, you can keep using it normally.
However, try and avoid closing it or traveling with it. Also, if you have access to an external monitor, you can just use your laptop as a desktop just until you get the screen fixed.
Coming to the question we have all been waiting for, How should I fix the cracked screen without getting it replaced?
Now before we get to the hard part, make sure you have the right tools at hand. A few things you will need are a safety pin, a small magnetic head screwdriver, a plastic knife, and a small bowl.
Next, make sure that you have comfortably placed yourself in a flat working area.
Actual Work Begins Here:
- Locate the round stickers that are covering the screws on the bezels.
- Use the plastic knife to carefully remove the cover stickers without causing damage to the bezels.
- Place the cover stickers aside with the sticky side up.
- Next, remove the exposed screw with the help of a screwdriver.
- Carefully remove the bezel from the laptop screen. Place a thin object in the crack around the screen outside and apply pressure until you hear the unsnapping sound.
- If your laptop’s bezel comes free while applying pressure, remove the LED screen using a screwdriver.
- However, if the cracked part is too large, you will have to remove the cracked screen and place a new one instead.
- After you are done with the process, use a magnetic screwdriver to secure the screws back in their place.
- Carefully line the bezel up and push it back in the snaps of its rear screen case.
Simply put, fixing a cracked computer screen without any replacement isn’t that tough. All it requires is a few simple tools and a lot of patience to get things right.
Best of all, you will save a good amount of money as well. So the next time you break your computer’s screen, don’t get into a frenzy.
Follow the above-mentioned steps carefully and your laptop will be as good as new in no time.